Does a Blog Need a Category?


They tell you in business school that if you have a company you need to be in your own category. You need to understand your target audience, your brand needs to be in a certain field, and a whole bunch of other stuff that needs to be worked out. If you don’t have all the specifics and goals then your company is going to lose sight of what it’s trying to do and you’re going to fail or just swim along.

Now let’s change the idea of a business to a blog. Say like me you are just starting out and it hasn’t become something big yet just small. For example, you are just one little fish in a big koi pond who is only swimming casual not full force. Or you’re a casual golfer with the dreams of going pro. Now how do you get there to make yourself the ultimate golfer or well blogger in this case? You build your brand. You yourself can be a brand, you’re essentially selling your voice, your opinions, reviews, everything to the world of the internet.

So, you start blogging. You go full force and you know this is what you want. You set a schedule, you get your thoughts going and you blog. Now, if you are unlike me you probably have a real big interest in one thing. That’s great! You can blog about makeup or fashion or even feet if you wanted to. However, if you are like me you have interests in a lot of things. There are so many things crammed in that head of yours that you just want to share those views with the world. Then you start to think how can I be popular then if I don’t have a set category? Do I need to have one? Will people follow me anyway? There are now so many questions in your head that you are just thinking of sticking to the one topic. You try that and you realize you’re getting bored with your blog. Sure makeup is great, sure that new hair product is cool, but do you want to just be known as a beauty person? What if you’re also into video games? Who would follow someone who posts about both? Lots of people would.

I follow lots of blogs, all with different interests. Some post beauty, some post advice, some post decorating, they’re all different. That’s why I would like to think a blog does not need to have a set category. You can have as many categories as you want. The more the better. If it really bothers you have certain days to post some content. That’s what I do anyway. I have certain posts on certain days for the readers that do want me to have a category. I’d like to say I’m a lifestyle blogger, but really I’m more of a life blogger. I want to post everything and anything. Therefore, I’m going against the specific branding of myself even. I would like to be known for posting good quality content on any relevant topic of today’s world. That’s my category and hopefully I don’t fail.


So, what are your guys’ thoughts on the matter? Do you believe a blog needs to have a set category to succeed? Why or why not?

Thanks for reading everyone! Have a fantastic weekend and I'll be back with a new post on Monday!

There is also a big change to my blogging schedule next week! Instead of my usual Monday-Wednesday I'm going to give a bit of a space. I will now be posting Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays! This is following my post on the proper amount of posting. I realized I was giving advice and not following it myself, so I'm giving you guys some actually time to read through my blog posts and not have another one hit you right in the face when you get to there first one of the week done! Are you guys feeling good about that? I think I am!

Jessie xx

2 comments

  1. Yes I do think you should categorize from the beginning... Why? 1/ to get readers with a similar interest, 2/ you have to make choices....there is so much to write about, you can't cover it all. The main thing is you write about what you like the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! You have some very good points that you have addressed, that all make sense. And very true you can't cover all material, but if you have multiple different passions in your life you should be able to write about them without the fear of losing followers/readers.
      Although, you are right with the readers. Blogging about anything and everything will make getting readers more difficult, but at the same time if the content is there and engaging they will come eventually.
      Although, I'm sure my opinions of the matter will change overtime. At the moment I just want my readers to be engaged with my content and give me their views and opinions. Which is probably why I have this current view of no category, just feel. If that makes sense I'm not sure.
      Thank you again for your valuable comment!

      Delete